Sunday, December 13, 2009


What I want for Christmas…

…is all I’ve ever hear children saying
I mean I thought this was a season for giving
Not expecting, receiving, or requesting…
Then I wonder if it is season for sharing and caring
Why does it only last but a season; is my inclination
Instead sublime euphoric euphemisms a façade passed in conversation while standing in line to get that gift; for the type of “present”
they want; “future” generations never the true meaning to be taught
To give; those in plain sight; those whom have a plight
not only the ones we adore deserves the gift;
as you sift through stores, online, in lines we fight
never once teaching our children what’s right; giving is divine
especially giving of yourself; without expectation
of  waiting for reciprocation of something in kind.
This is what I had in mind; instead of cutting short the phrase
“What do you want for Christmas?” finish this statement
With “…to give?” and start new trends; old one erase.
Then maybe spirituality may begin to ferment.

I know, I know, the arguments will rage on
About politics, human nature, and so on and so on
But what do we got to loose if you choose to make the change
Even if this piece is a lil idealistic, my faith still remains the same
Instead of asking our children what they want for Christmas
Ask them what to give for Christmas; to become selfless

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.”
- Winston Churchill

2 comments:

f8hasit said...

That is such food for thought, I might not have to eat for a few days!

Well said and I concur wholeheartedly!

The other day my daughter and I were out at a store. I typically try NOT to take her anywhere with me (storewise) before Christmas. And with her birthday rapidly following that...we just try NOT to tempt. :-)

Anyway, she saw something that she liked and it wasn't much so I told her, "You can get that baby, if you want it."
"No. I don't need it, I just thought it was cute."

Love it.
She just went through all her old toys and games and pulled the ones that she doesn't really play anymore and we offered them to families on our local FreeCycle.

She's 10.
If we could get ALL the kids of the mext generation to start thinking along those lines, just imagine the world we WILL live in someday.

Happy Holidays to YOU!
Thanks for stopping by my site and leaving a comment. It brought me here...which is MY Christmas present!
:-)

Anonymous said...

Nice one lovie...as I sit here at work and listen to all of what people bought one another etc it makes me think about what you said; and just how much the meaning has been lost. I think people need to be in the spirit all year, everyday anyway...why pick a month time span to feel giving. Well written and beautifully executed my poet!

dc